Setting the content marketing goals and objectives is the first step of creating content marketing strategy for your organisation or a blog. Every task in content marketing needs to align with your content marketing goals and objectives. We will see what type of content marketing goals we can put and work on it.
Which content asset can you create?
This depends on what content you can create naturally. It depends on your skillset. If you know basic photoshop skills, you can create infographics and image content. If you have good writing skills, you can write articles, case studies, emails. If you have video editing skills, you can create videos, edit and publish. creation of content banks on your skillset. If you have the resources to hire skilled professionals, you can hire and get it done. Here I am giving you few types of content assets to get you an idea.
Types of Content Assets
- Articles (textual)
- Case studies and Whitepapers (works for B2B marketing)
- User Generated (AMAs, Q&As, Contests)
- Podcast (interviews, etc.,)
- Tools (Software tools)
- templates, checklists
- Workshops (Offline)
I recommend you to create one type of content asset and repurpose it. It saves tons of time for you. For example, write one blog post and create a video on the same topic, create one e-book with the same content, you can also create one infographic for the article. This is how you repurpose the same blog post by creating in other formats. It helps your blog posts also to add good multimedia and user retention.
Why are you creating content?
You can create content to create your brand identity, brand awareness and brand recall. Content builds the credibility, trustworthiness and authenticity to your brand. This comes when you deliver valuable content to your target audience and blog readers without expecting anything back in return. You are creating the content to increase the transparency and trust. You can create content to build your email list. Few
Few other reasons
- To be a thought leader in your industry
- To connect with your audience
- To increase leads and sales
- To monetise with advertising/affiliate networks
It is the best way to educate your target audience with your content marketing.
Put Effective Goals
You cannot keep vague goals like I want to write one article per month. Try to be specific in terms of setting your goals. We all know that goals should be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound) goals. Let’s apply same concept to creating content marketing goals.
Examples of Content Creation Goals
- I will write 2500 words blog post this week
- I will create one new blog concept this month
- I will publish my content in a new medium (video, podcast,etc) this quarter
- Publishing 1 more blog this week than last week. (Quantity)
- Increasing blog traffic by 10% in 1 month. (Quality)
- Increasing email sign up rate by 10% this quarter. (conversion)
- Optimise one old blog post this week for SEO
- Increasing time spent on site by 10% this month
- Repurposing 1 blog into at least 3 formats this quarter
Remember, Goal is not what we have to DO. It is where we have TO BE
How to ensure you achieve your goals?
By creating next action steps for your each goal you can ensure. I don’t recommend you to take too many goals at once. write down your content marketing goals and take 2 or 3 goals in the beginning. Have triggers for your goals which remember you to work on your goals. Review your goals once in a month and check whether you are progressing in the right direction.
Do Subscribe to receive my articles on content marketing and digital marketing